Wednesday, October 26, 2011

An Answer to Someone's Prayer

Upon completing my classes today, I felt I should get closer to two students who were designing an indigenous home for an exhibition later that day. As I admired their production, one of them came to me and asked me whether I had any experience working with the youth as a counselor. I explained my experiences in both work and church and then he asked if I could help him with a problem. We talked for about an hour and a half. I shared a few answers to questions he had had for so long, answers he couldn't get from anybody. His humility and willingness to be teachable and to receive advice filled my heart with gratitude. It was amazing how he transformed throughout our conversation and his dark eyes became bright and happy. Towards the end, he shook my hand with joy and pronounced the following words: "Thank you teacher. You have been an answer to my prayer." My heart was filled with joy and gratitude again as I left that old classroom knowing that I had been an instrument to help someone today. As I thanked him for his trust, I replied truthfully, "YOU have been an answer to mine." Experiences like these ones make me so grateful for the profession I chose a few years ago. I hope that I will continue to be an answer to someone's prayer and that I would take the time to listen in my heart when someone is in need of help and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment