Monday, October 10, 2011

The Most Humbling Experience

Yesterday a family from Church came to pick me up early in the morning for a very special mission: traveling 20 minutes to a very small town to visit a couple whose 3-month baby son had passed away the day before. As we arrived in this very small part of the outskirts of Cardenas, my heart humbled as I witnessed the most humbling experience I have ever had. The house was situated next to a huge sugar cane field. Though Cardenas weather is always cloudy and rainy during this season; yesterday the sky was blue, the birds singing a beautiful melody, and the sun was bright and beautiful. We arrived at their humble home where chairs had been set up in and out of the house for guests who would visit the family. As we entered what it seemed to be the living-room; I observed the tiny beautiful baby's body placed in a very small casket, which was placed in the middle of this sacred place. A small flower bouquet in the shape of a bear was resting at the foot of the casket and four candles were placed around this angelic body, whose life had returned back to the presence of that Being who gave him life. I met the young couple whose faces showed that they had been awake all night long viewing their baby, as it is the custom in Mexico. The family accompanied them. As we greeted everybody, we sat and then the bishop from the LDS Church conducted what I considered one of the most spiritual funeral services I had ever witnessed in my life. We sang hymns, such as How Great Thou Art and God Be with Thee Till We Meet Again. I was asked to offer the opening prayer, then the bishop took charge and pronounced inspiring words of comfort. As he opened his mouth and talked about love, hope, patience, and preparation; I could not hold my tears as I felt the Holy Ghost invade my heart so deeply. He spoke with conviction and authority. It was as if God Himself would have spoken as the Holy Ghost confirmed in my heart that his talk was true. Everybody in the room was touched by it and shed tears as they were being comforted by the good word of God.

This experience made me wonder about how important this life is. This is the time to prepare to meet God. I pondered on my own preparation and came to the realization that I have to improve my life every day of my existence. I know that God lives. Jesus is the Christ. I'm grateful for what He did for me, which allows me to repent, change the course of my life, and be forgiven. I am grateful for life, for my family, and for the knowledge I have that one day I will return to His presence and live with Him forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment