Thursday, September 8, 2011

Rainy Season and School

The rainy season has begun. Yesterday it rained all day long and all night long. We woke up this morning and it was still raining. The girls went to school as usual, but Lucas did not because when it rains that hard, the streets flood and so does his school's playground and other classrooms. Lucas did not believe us, so we had to walk him to school in the middle of the rain. He loved carrying his umbrella to school. When we arrived there, we believe he was the only faithful student around the school. His teachers were there and happy to know that he now wants to go to school even if it is pouring. We walked back to the house and we are now trying to figure out what we are going to do with him so that we don't go crazy for a few hours. :)

I was reading an email Gina sent to her aunt Cathy, which I would love to quote: "School is fun but the only bad thing is that I have as much homework as I have in one year at my school in John day." Sadly, I have to admit that she is right. Every day our three girls bring homework from school and stay busy doing it until late in the afternoon. On the contrary, back home they would rarely bring homework, and most of it was related to crosswords or word search, which I personally dislike so much. All of them are taking a subject called Civics and Ethics, which teaches the youth about morals and values needed for any society to succeed in this life and to be happy by choosing the right. I was helping Ashlie do her homework for this class when she said, "I wish we had this subject at home." I asked her if she thought it would be helpful for the youth and she said, "Oh yes...and it is such a fun class." I agree with her 100%. Sadly, some of the student population does not learn values and morals at home; so they come to school with none at all thinking that that's the best way to live life. It would be so beneficial to take a class like this, which would help teenagers understand the importance of respect, charity, and so many wonderful values that change a person's life forever.

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! I was thinking that US schools are missing out on teaching some very valuable things to students. This class would be so helpful in so many ways. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete