Saturday, September 10, 2011

Su Casa, Mi Casa...

Though I heard this expression all of my life, I had never heard it the way Mexicans say it here in Tabasco. When they refer to their house or an event that took place at their house, they said, "When you go to my house, which is your house too." A teacher was sharing a story that happened in 2007 when Villahermosa, the capital of Tabasco, flooded; and said, "When your house flooded..." I was so lost because my house had never been flooded and I didn't know what she was talking about until I heard, "The streets were flooded but my house, which is your house, was not. My neighbors would come to "your house" to find refuge." Then I knew she was cordially referring to her house as mine too. It's so sweet how they express it like that and how they make you feel welcomed. Another teacher was saying, "When my family gets together at your house, we have so much fun." Now you know the true meaning of "SU CASA ES MI CASA."

No comments:

Post a Comment