Sunday, August 28, 2011

College Teaching


Last week I started teaching at the UPCH (Universidad Popular de la Chontalpa). It's been quite a difference experience from teaching at the high school level and I have been loving it ever since I started. I teach English V and VI to students who are part of the Alternative Tourism Degree. I'm very amazed at how much English they know. Some of them have a great pronunciation and others try very hard. In order to have the right to take their exams, students must have 80% of attendance. If they do not, they can't take any exams and will not pass the class. This regulation is extremely strict and I understand why after teaching there for a week. One of the reasons is that students do not arrive on time. They have no notion of what punctuality really is, so a regulation must be in place. If a student arrives from 1 to 15 minutes late, they are considered tardy (3 tardies = an absence). If a student arrives 16 minutes late, he/she is absent and can come in to observed the class or leave. It's very simple!!!

Tomorrow I begin teaching at the Language Center. I will be teaching English I and III. This center is for UPCH students and/or for community members who desire to learn English. At the center they also teach French and Chontal (A Mayan language spoken in Tabasco by 44,000 people in this area). I will try to register in this class for next two semesters. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment