Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Special Present


Ramon, one of my students, brought me this present for me today. I don't know if you ever did see where chocolate comes from, but here is the origin. He brought me three cacao pods. As you can observe, once opened you can see cocoa beans. If you are interested in learning more about how the process works, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacao_bean for an extensive description. I found it very "sweet" that he brought me this gift because in ancient Mayan civilizations a gift such as this was expensive and considered an honor to receive.

2 comments:

  1. it kind of looks like a worm when you open it up. nice gift though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get a chance to try this tasty treat? When I was in Costa Rica, we would eat the white part and spit the bitter beans out. It was delicious!! One of my favorite treats!

    ReplyDelete